Monday 21 February 2011

Ask Me Anything | Matters Lucubracious

Dear Niall.

What is your favourite word? Mine is "lucubration," which means the act of studying by candlelight, at night. Pretty sweet, right?

And no, before you lambast me: it's entirely coincidental that "lucubration" so happens to be today's word of the day on dictionary.com.

Vouchsafing my regards, "vocabnazi"




That's what she said!

Uh, anyway. I had a favourite word, but then I saw your word, and it's pretty frickin' sweet, I'll give you that. You made me defensive. I'm sorry.

But a-ha! What with this being a blog about speculative fiction, I get to select from made-up fantasy terms too, so mines is "fuligin," which is to say a shade darker even than black. +10 blogger cred, right?

Right?

4 comments:

  1. Not made up


    fu•lig•i•nous (fyo͝o‑lĭj′ə‑nəs)
    adj.
    1. Sooty.
    2. Colored by or as if by soot.

    American Heritage

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I thought!

    Ach. But lucubration, right? That's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeper
    n.
    1. Laborious study or meditation.
    2. Writing produced by laborious effort or study, especially pedantic or pretentious writing. Often used in the plural.

    The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright © 2008, 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Updated in 2008. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved. © 2010 Enfour, Inc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems I've been handily defeated. But a-ha!

    ...

    Nope. I've got nothing. More's the pity.

    ReplyDelete