Wednesday 24 October 2012

Coming Attractions | House of Small Shadows by Adam Nevill

Have I told you lately that I love Adam Nevill's novels?

I don't think so, no. So this seems like a fine time to reiterate my feelings — especially given the recent news about his new book. It's called House of Small Shadows, and it looks to be about one of mankind's creepiest creations: dolls.


I know there's not a lot to it, but I'm loving this cover. The raindrops are a particularly telling touch, suggesting that this evil being is either looking inside from the outside or vice versa.

Thus, that tagline is suitably insidious. They watch you as you sleep indeed! Not if I have anything to do with it, they don't...

Quick question: do all dolls have anime eyes, as in the artwork above? I don't think so, but I honestly don't know — I've been avoiding these potential malevolents ever since Child's Play.

Anyway, I have a blurb for you too, borrowed whole-hog from the Tor team's blog:
Catherine’s last job ended badly. Corporate bullying at a top antiques publication saw her fired and forced to leave London, but she was determined to get her life back. A new job and now things look much brighter. Especially when a challenging new project presents itself – to catalogue the late M. H. Mason’s wildly eccentric cache of antique dolls and puppets.

Rarest of all, she’ll get to examine his elaborate displays of posed, costumed and preserved animals, depicting bloody scenes from World War II.

When Mason’s elderly niece invites her to stay at Red House itself, where she maintains the collection, Catherine can’t believe her luck. Until his niece exposes her to the dark message behind her uncle’s "art". Catherine tries to concentrate on the job, but M. H. Mason’s damaged visions raise dark shadows from her own past. Shadows she’d hoped therapy had finally erased. Soon the barriers between reality, sanity and memory start to merge. And some truths seem too terrible to be real...
Adam's latest, Last Days - which I reviewed for Tor.com - was pretty great, but I'm still of the opinion that The Ritual - which you can read about right here - is his best work to date. Fingers firmly crossed The House of Small Shadows can hold its own against that classic contemporary horror novel.

The House of Small Shadows is penciled in for publication in the UK next May. Do yourselves a favour and destroy all your dolls before the promised month comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment