There are high points and low points on every gamer's calendar. Next month, for instance, the Summer slump - wherein NO VIDEO GAMES HAPPEN! - begins in earnest. Thankfully, before that, we've the other extreme to enjoy. That would be perhaps the single biggest event in gaming each and every year: the Electronic Entertainment Expo, or E3.
'Tis tres exciting. :)
And as of this moment, Electronic Three is mere hours away. I've got a review or two to polish off this afternoon... then the press conferences begin. Microsoft will be up first, then Sony, then Nintendo, with a couple of third parties occupying the spotlight between the big hitters. If you're of a mind to watch any or all of the above - and if you have the slightest affection for video games, you really, really should - there are links to the various sites which will stream you the big three here. I'll be tuning in for sure.
Anyway, we've only four hours to go till it's on (!), so consider this question strictly time-limited:
What are you hoping to hear about from this year's E3?
To get us started, here are a couple of the things which, if and when they happen, will likely elicit a little wee from me --- I mean, uh... a little wheee.
- Batman: Arkham City. After the shocking awesomesauce of Rocksteady's first turnabout with the caped crusader, Arkham City has a lot to live up to. I fully expect it will.
- I so want Half Life 3, but that's an almighty long shot: Valve have already come out and said nuh-uh, not going to happen, and with Portal 2 only barely behind us, I suppose I can understand why they wouldn't want to steal away the limelight so soon. And yet... these guys aren't above a bit of bullshit to make a surprise all the more surprising, and a guy can still dream in this town, can't he?
- Bioshock Infinite needs to be mine. Alas, it won't be, not until well into 2012; some serious teasing is the best we can expect. But that'll do me dandy, thank you very much.
- And what's next from Rockstar? A new Grand Theft Auto? It could totally happen. I'll certainly play it when it does.
- Less likely, but still somewhat plausible: a sequel to Red Dead Redemption. Which if you're asking - let's say you are - I think should be called Red Dead Revenge.
- Meanwhile, I'd kinda like to see some sort of Call of Duty: In Space. There've been rumours of such a project forever, and I'd be interested - at the very least - to see the medium's biggest hitter head off in a more speculative direction.
- I really want to hear about Journey, the next game from Jenova Chen, which is to say the mastermind behind flOw and Flower. Alas, I fear all the pre-E3 coverage has probably squared this one away for the next while. But maybe a date?
- Oh, and while we're on the downloadable kick, I'm looking forward to hearing more about Ms. Splosion Man, Fez, and the next game from the makers of Limbo. Come on, they've had a whole year!
- Almost despite myself, I'm keen to hear about the Nintendo's new home console. And Microsoft and Sony could start hinting about their next hardware platforms. I mean, I don't want them yet; I can't afford them yet; but damn, I'll watch target renders all evening, given the chance.
- And last - last but not least - a nice surprise is always nice. I would like for Electronic Three to surprise me, this year.
Now then. Excuse me while I explode... :)
Over to you!