Monday 25 July 2011

We Interrupt This Broadcast | Out of Office, Educating

Some of you might remember that I started tutoring kids in English earlier this year. Strictly on a part-time basis, you know... a couple of hours here and a couple of hours there, as and when.

Well, it went well.

Much to my surprise, I suppose, it went very well indeed. And it will again, but over the summer - understandably - there aren't enough students to warrant a class, so my sideline in tutoring is on hold till term resumes...

...however. As I understand it, it's come time for the folks in charge of the education centres I've been moonlighting for to update their teaching materials; they're hoping to inject a little more energy, more relevance, more creativity into the curriculum, and for some undefinable reason, they think I might be the man for the job. One of the men, I should say -- one of the people, even.

So, long story short, I've been invited to spend this coming week in the city, helping to conceptualise and thereafter create teaching materials for English students working at the Standard Grade level. This is not normal for me; I'm lucky enough to be able to work from home through most of the year. But this isn't the sort of opportunity you can say no to, however much of a guddle it will in all likelihood be.

Which is to say, things might be a bit quiet on the blog front, this week and the beginning of next. I've been beavering away at a couple of reviews these last few days to tide you all over between now and a week on Wednesday, so there's that, but forgive me if I'm not as quick on the draw as usual in other respects.

Anyway, I should really head off already, so... wish me luck!

And still more important than that, get busy reading while I'm AFK and the weather's still with us. I had just the loveliest afternoon the other day, devouring Raising Stony Mayhall in the sun. Would that I could be out there again now, with another book...

...alas. Education calls. Just remember: it's all in service of the wee Scottish bookworms of tomorrow. I'm only leaving you - and only momentarily at that - for the sake of our children, and our children's children! ;)

2 comments:

  1. That's so awesome! I'm really happy for you, and I wish you all the best with this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though it might deprive us of some delicious Scottish blogging, this sounds very interesting and like a great opportunity. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete